The Hunt

More process for my thesis work, this piece is based on the classic novel Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Basically my process for this piece was to create imagery that depict Heathcliff's struggle dealing with Catherine's changing role within the novel. I wanted to use imagery that suggests a hunt, showing that Heathcliff's emotions are based purely on instinct and therefore he cannot control his urge to overpower Catherine. I wanted to play with the idea of negative shapes using the wolf's face. Some of my initial concepts used the snout as a tree. Usually when I begin a piece I create multiple compositional roughs that help me determine layout. The most important part of these layouts lies in the fact that many of my concepts are dual images, using negative shapes to tell a story beyond the initial imagery.